Barclays have started a new service whereby you can upload your own image and get a personalised debit card. This sounded like a really fun idea, so I thought I’d give it a try. Unfortunately, Barclays rejected my chosen image because it “has not met our image guidelines”. So I thought I’d better read them before I send another image. The guidelines are that the image must not contain any of the following:
- Trademarks or company names (e.g., images marked with ® or ™ signs);
- Images or text protected by copyright (e.g., images marked with © or other watermarks or notations);
- Slogans, tag lines, branding, marketing or promotional products, services or images of companies;
- Images of, or the name or nickname of, celebrities, musicians, sportspersons, entertainers, public-figures, film stars, cartoon characters, members of the Royal Family or other famous people;
- Contact information (e.g., telephone numbers, online usernames, account numbers, addresses or e-mail addresses);
- Political statements, or images relating to ethnicity or religion;
- Images of flags;
- Images, signs, symbols or text relating to money, currency, drugs, tobacco, alcohol, gangs, hatred, graffiti, betting, gambling, or financial products or services;
- Provocative, lewd or sexual images or content;
- Offensive material (e.g., images, signs, symbols or text relating to violence, death, injury, racism, cruelty, profanity, obscenity, weapons, firearms, ammunition or terrorism);
- Anti-social or obscene behaviour, or socially unacceptable groups;
- Content where drinking (or being drunk), smoking or gambling is the focus;
- Text unless benign and in the English language;
- Any image that might reflect poorly or might engender hostility toward company brands (including MasterCard®, Visa® or Barclays);
- Any reference to the Olympic Games, World Cup or any other international branded event;
- Reference to any bank, building society or other monetary institution;
- Any inappropriate content;
- Weapons may only be included if they are being shown in a ceremonial context.
Having scoured the contents of my hard disk I’ve been unable to locate a single image that doesn’t fall foul of these guidelines, so I’ve had to abandon the experiment.
Interestingly, my existing Barclays debit card appears to fall foul of these guidelines because it makes reference to a bank and shows my account number. I will call the help desk to warn them.
|In the future, everyone will be famous for fifteen megabytes|